Oct 24, 2012
An astronomical event is here. Get ready for your ECLIPSE.
Just Fine Wine and Winexpert introduce to you, ECLIPSE, a new collection of premium wine kits: powerful, full-bodied wines of intense structure, inspiring flavour and stature.
Ten lush varietals from renowned wine regions, featuring the highest single strength juice and varietal content of any Winexpert wine, past or present, and delivering outstanding varietal character that is comparable to commercial wines.
Eclipse produces 23 litres (approximately thirty 750ml bottles) of finished product and is now available at Just Fine Wine. will be available in all warehouses the week of October 15th.
To see the full collection and learn more about the varietals, CLICK HERE.
Witnessing an Eclipse:
- Kits increased to 18 litre format (from 16 litres)
- Renowned region specific varietal juice
- 5 Reds, 5 Whites to choose from. All former Estate Series wines are still available in this new & improved line including fan favourites Stag's Leap Merlot and Italian Barolo.
- Varietal specific grape skins (for red wine kits)
- Premium oak
- How is ECLIPSE different than Estate?: ECLIPSE has the highest single strength juice and varietal character of any Winexpert wine kit past or present. This in combination with added grape skins in most of the red wines, as well as a change in oak and yeast processes on some styles, ensures ECLIPSE wines are comparable to commercial wines delivering outstanding varietal character, structure, and intensity of flavour.
- I loved my Estate wines, especially Stag's Leap Merlot, will my ECLIPSE product be different?: The inherent character of each of our wines, particularly in the case of such favourites such as Stag's Leap Merlot, were preserved. Enhancements were made to deliver optimal body, structure, and character so that ECLIPSE wines can rival those purchased commercially.
- Have alcohol levels changes vs. Estate products?: In some cases alcohol levels have increased (Lodi Old Zines Zinfandel, Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon, New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay, and Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir). Typical alcohol levels range from 11% to 14% for the whites and 13.5% to 14% for the reds.
- How long can/should I age ECLIPSE wines?: ECLIPSE aging is comparable to Estate. They will drink well young at 3 months of age but will deliver full character and complexity at 6 months and beyond.
- Why is there a two-stage oak process for some of the red wines?: A dual stage oaking process in some of the red wines (Italian Piedmont Barolo, Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon, and Napa Valley Stag's Leap District Merlot) ensures optimal complexity and flavour appropriate to each style. Premium oak cubes added in the fining stage when a higher alcohol level is available ensures maximum oak extraction for fuller bodied, complex wines.
- What is dual yeast activity and why do it?: This is a two yeast process for the New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc and Washington Yakima Valley Pinot Gris that ensures outstanding aromatics for both wine styles. The first yeast (EC-118) is the work horse of yeasts to get the wine going while the second (K1V-1116) refines and optimizes either the fruit or floral characteristics of the wine.
Click on image below for a full ECLIPSE Spec Sheet