Wild Mushroom and Arugula Ragu
Featuring LE14 Triumph
February: Yakima Valley Triumph - Washington, USA
Yield: 4 cups
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, oyster, portobello, shiitake and/or Shime Ji, roughly chopped (about 12 cups)
- 2 leeks, white part only, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme, sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Limited Edition Anniversary Red Wine
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Shaved Parmesan, crumbled goat's or feta cheese (optional)
- Grilled or roasted meat, fish or poultry
- Hot cooked pasta such as papardelle or fettucine
- Toasted baguette slices rubbed with garlic
Heat oil in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add mushrooms, leek, thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often for 12 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms have evaporated their moisture and are starting to stick to the bottom of the pot.
Stir in the garlic and tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine. Simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until liquids are almost entirely evaporated.
Stir in arugula until wilted.
Serve with cheese at the table for sprinkling (if using).
Tip: This recipe can be served as a side dish. Or for more ideas: toss with hot, cooked noodles as a vegetarian entrée; spoon over grilled steak, fish or chicken for a meaty entrée; or, spoon over garlicky crostini as an appetizer.
Pair with: LE14 Triumph