Beef & Mushroom Cottage Pies
Featuring LE14 Australian Shiraz Viognier
January: Riverland Shiraz Viognier - Australia
Yield: Yield: 4 pies (or 4 to 6 servings)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb cubed top sirloin or lean stewing beef
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and freshly ground pepper (approx.)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup Limited Edition Shiraz Voigner Red Wine
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup shredded aged Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Heat oil in a deep heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. Toss beef with salt and pepper. In batches, brown beef all over. Transfer to a bowl; toss with flour.
Reduce heat to medium. Add bacon to skillet. Cook until lightly browned.
Add leek, carrot, mushrooms and thyme. Cook, stirring, until browned.
Return beef to skillet along with broth and wine.
Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in peas.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes and cauliflower in a large pot of salted water until fork tender. Drain well. Mash roughly with a potato masher. Add cheese and sour cream. Use an electric mixer to whip until light and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide meat mixture between four, 10-oz heat-proof dishes. Top with potato mixture. Bake, on a rimmed baking sheet, in a preheated, 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
Tip: Pies can be made ahead and reserved for 1 day. Place pies in a cold oven and bring up to 350°F. Add 10 to 15 minutes extra bake time as needed.
Pair with: LE14 Australian Riverland Shiraz Viognier