Salt & Pepper Calamari
Featuring Twisted Mist
500g Calamari tubes
¾ Tsp Ground black peppercorns
1 Tbsp Sea salt
1 tsp Cayenne pepper OR ½ tsp dried chili flakes
1 Tbsp Canola oil (or other good-quality vegetable oil)
1 bottle Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (to serve)
¼ cup Fresh coriander, lightly chopped (for garnish)
1 Using a knife, cut open the calamari tubes so that they lie flat.
2. Rinse the calamari and place on a tea towel or absorbent paper. Pat them dry.
3. Cut the calamari lengthwise into strips (1 inch wide), and place in a mixing bowl.
4. Drizzle the oil over the calamari and mix well.
5. Now add the sea salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Again, mix well until all
the calamari strips are coated in the spices.
6. Barbecue the calamari over a hot grill until the edges curl up (some strips may
curl completely into a circle) - this only takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes each side.
(try not to overcook the calamari, or it will turn rubbery instead of tender) You
can also pan-fry the calamari indoors.
7. Serve with lime wedges and Thai Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping.
(Photo credit: S. Wongkaew at About.com)